Toji-in was founded in 1341 by the first Ashikaga shogun, Takauji. Over the centuries this shogun and his successors became to be so hated that long after their deaths people paid to enter the temple and strike their statues, which can still be viewed in the hall on the east side of the temple grounds.  

Most people come to Toji-in for viewing and strolling the temple’s gardens, which were designed by the Zen priest Muso Soseki, better know by his posthumous title Muso Kokushi. This priest also founded Tenryu-ji in Arashiyama, the Zen temple with which Toji-in is affiliated.  

Overlooking the garden, is a beautiful thatched-roof teahouse, Seirentei (Teahouse of Clear Rippling Waves”).