Teppan Kappo Sou
Chef Tsukada offer diners the best wagyu beef available without the prohibitive price of the famous brands like Kobe beef. To do this, he uses non-brand name wagyu. There are 14 grades of beef in Japan and the top grade is A5, the best Matsuzaka beef and Kobe beef are A5. Using A5 non-brand gives the same brand name taste, but costs about 30% less.
In addition to quality at a reasonable price, is individualized customer service in an intimate setting. Chef Tsukada likes the simplicity of the kappo counter format and the direct contact with the customer.
• Teppan Kappo is located in extremely picturesque Gion Shinbashi, one of Kyoto’s geiko entertainment districts.
• These districts are known for their very high prices, but Sou is open, friendly and quite reasonably priced.
• The quality of the wagyu beef is the highest grade available.
• Sou offers an excellent selection of wine, both Chef Tsukada and the manager are sommeliers.
• An English menu is available. The owner chef and manager worked at an international hotel for 10 years so can communicate a little in English.
• Get the meibutsu wagyu katsu sandwich for take out.
• Teppan Kappo Sou is open until 2 am.
A dinner reservation is recommended. Ask your hotel concierge to make a reservation for you or use the email address below (simple English, please, the manager requests!)
Reservations: Please make dinner and lunch reservations via email at least 3 days in advance.
Email Reservations: teppankappou-sou (at) kki (dot) biglobe (dot) ne (dot) jp